Friday, October 28, 2005

the good mother

she is patient. she is kind.
she praises.
she comforts.
she knows how to give 'the look' and knows it will be obeyed.
she is fun.
she is smart.
she laughs. she cries.
she hugs.
she says 'it'll be okay' and it is.
she keeps promises
she trusts.
she is a good mother.
from her mother
she knows what hurt is.
she knows anger.
she knows fear.
she knows frustration.
she knows lonliness
she knows tears.
she knows screaming
yelling
throwing
hitting
she knows sleeplessness.
she knows pain.
she is my daughter
i am her mother
i held the legacy
she broke the cycle
she is the good mother
i am learning
from her
This is dedicated to my oldest daughter who is a very good mother.

7 comments:

oldhall said...

I enjoyed that, thank you.

Lisa said...

Beautifully written and a beautiful tribute to your daughter. I know no higher compliment than to be told you are a good mother!

trouble said...

Words escape. Very beautiful poem. Don't sell your influence short. She is a great mother because she had a fine example.

ghartstein said...

It's absolutely wonderful that you're able to say that so she can hear it! Well done and well said!

Amanda said...

Thank you so much! Words cannot express how much this means to me, and how beautiful the poem is. I'm in tears and darrell is right. Don't sell yourself short.

I love you.

sue said...

There just should have been some things done differently. You, my dear, are doing them the right way... that's all I'm sayin'...

Hope said...

This was such a hopeful poem. I broke the cycle in my family after a few years of following their example to the 't'. I have huge hopes for my daughter to never have to follow in my early footsteps. Our phone conversation today was quite a bit about our respective journeys. Both of us are in counselling and this is the first time I'm not bailing out when the going gets tough. The last thing my counselor said to me last week was, "You are on the right path." I was able to say this to my daughter today.