Friday, October 21, 2005

flashback friday

originally post may 15, 2005

there was a time

there was a time when i was young and naive and believed the world was fair. i thought if you gave it all you had and treated everyone with kindness you would be in turn treated the same. years later i would realize how fucked up i truly was.

when you find yourself living in an apartment in the upstairs of a house where the heat is oppressive to the point you leave the window open next to your bed and find yourself covered with snow, shivering uncontrollably in the middle of a december blizzard three days after your eighteenth birthday. within 48 hours you are found huddled in the same apartment in the back of a walk-in closet high on nyquil by the fire department who have been called because you won't answer the door and your family and serious boyfriend who will one day become your ex-husband are afraid you are dead.

i wished i was.
i'm glad i'm not.

4 comments:

Michael said...

I am glad you are not too.

Take Care
Michael

Lisa said...

I'm glad you're still alive too.

B.Amelia said...

I too just learned how unfair it can be. "This is where I felt it the first time. The universe was cocking the fuck-with-me gun." (from my favorite show DEAD LIKE ME)
I guess we all have to learn to survive it somehow, giving up would be letting the world know how unfair it is.

sue said...

I LOVE "Dead Like Me" - too bad the fuckers had to cancel it. Grrrrr...